About Me

My photo
Pacific Northwest, United States

Welcome

I've been crafting things for myself and others since my teen years. Designing and creating is not just what I do.....it's Who I Am. Thanks for stopping by.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sewing A Knit T-Shirt

I've been wanting to sew myself some simple t-shirt tops and finally got inspired by one of the three new Craftsy.com classes I gifted myself for Christmas.  Craftsy had a sale......need I say more.  

Anyway, I started watching the video lessons for "Sewing With Knits: 5 Wardrobe Essentials" with Meg McElwee.  Meg is really sweet and provides in-depth explanations on most every aspect of sewing knits on a domestic machine.  

The first big tip, which I never thought of before, is to use a walking foot instead of my regular presser foot.  Duh!!!  Combine that with reducing the presser foot pressure by turning the pressure dial to 1 (on my machine) made a huge difference in how the fabric feeds through the machine.  I also tested all my machine's stretch stitches to see how they work.  I've had some light-weight t-shirt knits in my stash for years so I tore through the sewing room and found what I had on hand.  I also found some sweatshirt fleece so I may be making a hoodie soon.

I have tons of short-sleeve t-shirts but I really prefer the long-sleeve version which can be worn under sweatshirts or layered with other tops as well.  Meg provides pdf patterns for the garments in her class and soon after I traced the pattern I was cutting it out on the dining room table.  This t-shirt is really simple and easy to sew.  I took my time and tested my stitching on scraps so I could get the width and length right before sewing on the garment.  

All in all, I'm pleased with this pattern which fits well and the neckline lays flat like it should.  I forgot how much nicer knits fit compared to woven fabrics  (at least on me).   

I hope that you have had a great Holiday Season.  Merry Christmas and may God bless your New Year, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...