Thursday, March 21, 2013

Free Motion Friday - Mar 22, 2013

Yeah!  The quilt, "Bittersweet" is all quilted.  She still needs binding, but the hard part is all done.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I quilted the circle with feathers in the "X" blocks.  Then I quilted in the ditch around all the squares in the 16-patch blocks.   The final quilting in the border is a simple echoed feather design.  When I worked on the boarder I did not make the stem first and regretted it later.  In future, I plan to create the stem and then add the feathers.

I tried to keep track of the time it took me to quilt this project.  The final tally was 15.75 hours.  I did a lot of starting and stopping as well as twisting and turning of the fabric to get it into place so I could stitch.

Oh how I would love to have a machine with a larger arm.  On a recent trip to the sewing machine store I drooled over all the great machines on display.  I could get a bigger machine if I really wanted one, but I don't know where I'd set it up.  I love the cabinet I bought when I got my Ellure (which is what I use to do my machine quilting).  So, for the time being, I'll make due with what I have.  Perhaps I'll reduce the size of my future projects so that they are more manageable.




Thanks for stopping by.  Happy Quilting!
          ~Diane





5 comments:

  1. Lovely work! Congrats on getting it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on the feathers! WTG on finishing the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Diane,

    Such a pretty quilt, and wonderful quilting.

    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful feathers! I keep working on mine. BTW, I understand wishing for a machine with a longer arm. I was at a quilt shop and was able to try the Tiara sit down long arm from Baby lock and now I dream of it every night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I really like how you quilted those X blocks. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...