About Me

My photo
Pacific Northwest, United States

Welcome

I've been crafting things for myself and others since my teen years. Designing and creating is not just what I do.....it's Who I Am. Thanks for stopping by.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Design Wall Monday - October 28, 2013

On my Quilt Bucket List is the Double Wedding Ring.  I've always liked the look of this pattern and hoped someday to make one.  Well, time has come.

Recently I found a blog posting by Cristy at Sew Much Like Mom.  She is hosting a Double Wedding Ring Quilt Along.  If you click on the link, it'll take you to her master page with the schedule and links to her posts.  This was just the incentive I needed to get started.

As usual, and because I can, I set out to create my own pattern using my CAD software.  Since 1997 I have worked as a CAD drafter in architectural and structural engineering fields.  The nice thing about CAD software is that you draw in real dimensions even though you may print at a smaller scale to fit the paper size.  Even though I have EQ7 software I tend to draw up my designs first in CAD.

I decided that I wanted to make a smaller block, basically so my pattern would fit on 8-1/2 x 11 paper and I could use up a bunch of the smaller bits of fabric leftovers from the baby quilts I've made recently.  

My first pattern attempt did not work well so I eventually ordered the Double Wedding Ring Block pattern by Sharon Schamber and I'm so glad I did.  The pattern comes with a CD and full instructions on her Piec-lique technique as well as full-size freezer paper templates.  I was also able to get a 15% discount.  If you are interested check out this link.

With good instructions I was able to adapt my pattern and so far it's worked like a charm.



I'm making four rings so I cut and prepared 48 different scrap fabrics for the arches and two different fabrics for the corner stones.

Over the weekend I finished glue basting the arches so they are ready to be sewn.

My test assembly of one applecore worked great so now it's full steam ahead.






Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to check out the links to other Design Walls over at Patchwork Times.
Happy Quilting!
        ~Diane

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...