Back in early October I free-motion quilted a flower basket applique piece. My intention is to make a sewing machine cover. Over the past week or so I've been working on quilting the Baby Blocks baby quilt and came to the point of indecision about how to quilt the outer border area. The second side of the sewing machine cover has become my test ground for possible border designs. I'd like to do something that I haven't done on any previous projects.
The width of the border for the baby quilt will be 2-inches, so I divided my practice piece with vertical stitching lines and began to fill in those areas. I find that, like a writer trying to overcome writer's block, it's best to just jump in and begin.
My favorite design is the one with the circles and scallops. For this pic, I used white paper to isolate the design from the others because I don't like the design I stitched to the right of it. In future I will probably draw some pencil lines as guides for the scallops to keep them more uniform. I really like how the little circles turned out. Not bad for a design on the fly, first attempt.
Even with this practice sample I'm not sure what border design I will stitch on the baby quilt. It's a boy quilt so feathers and flower designs are not on my radar.
I'm linked up with FMQ Friday over at the Free-Motion Quilting Project. Be sure to head over there to see what other's have been quilting lately.