About Me

My photo
Pacific Northwest, United States

Welcome

I've been crafting things for myself and others since my teen years. Designing and creating is not just what I do.....it's Who I Am. Thanks for stopping by.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Octagon Mat and Mug Rugs


A while back I was inspired by a YouTube video featuring Karen Lukac making an octagon place mat.   


This is a pic of a table mat I made.  It measures 12-1/2" across.

My thoughts were that this shape would make a nice mug mat or coaster. 


This is one of the first mug mats I made when I was testing my technique.  To keep it simple, I opted not to put binding around the outside. 
 

For this year's Quilting with J.O.Y. Christmas party I wanted to give each of my friends a set of two matching mug rugs.  Each set was different from any other set.  I was able to use up small bits of fabric that I had in my stash.  


Here are two of the sets that I had left over and didn't give away....yet. 

 
These mug rugs begin with a 4-inch focus fabric octagon.  The contrasting pieces are cut 1-inch wide and sewn to the outer edges of the center octagon.  I used more of the focus fabric for the outer ring and cut those pieces 1-1/2" wide.  I also used the focus fabric for the backing octagon.  After making the top, I layered the backing, right sides together over the top and a thin piece of batting on top of that. Then I sewed it all together around the outside edge using a 1/4" seam and leaving an opening of about 2 inches for turning.  Next, I turned the mats inside out and top-stitched next to the outer edge to close up the opening and finish it all around.  These mug mats ended up measuring 6 inches across.



I wish I had remembered to take pics of all the other sets I made.  They were a fun, easy gift to make.  

I am linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts.

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Crafting!
  ~Diane
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...