Monday, June 11, 2012

Design Wall Monday–June 11, 2012

DWM-06-11-12
Recently I designed a star quilt that I’d like to make for a Native American friend of mine.  The trouble is that I’ve never made a star using diamonds, so I planned out to make a smaller version just to get the technique figured out.  This test block will be about 10 inches square and will most likely end up as a potholder. 


Before I started cutting, I ironed the fabric with spray starch so that the bias cuts would not stretch out of shape as much once I started sewing the seams.  I sewed strips together and then cut them diagonally into the diamond shapes.  I took my time and was able to get most of the points to match up (good enough for me).

StarDiamondsNow for the more difficult part of inserting the setting triangles and corner squares.  The first triangle went in o.k. and I hoping that by the time I get this one block done I’ll be friends with “Y” seams and I can move on to the larger project. 



To check out what others have on their design walls this week, stop by Judy’s blog, Patchwork Times.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Diane, good luck with the next step, you'll be a whiz at the Y seam in no time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...