About Me

My photo
Pacific Northwest, United States

Welcome

I've been crafting things for myself and others since my teen years. Designing and creating is not just what I do.....it's Who I Am. Thanks for stopping by.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Design Wall - January 6, 2014



With the local Quilts of Valor sew-in coming up this week, I thought I'd better get working on this.   You can read my previous blog post about this quilt top Here.

Original design plan
I took my friend Dot's advice and decided to set the blocks on point.  Then I made four more blocks for the corners.  Some of my decisions were based on the amount of fabric on hand.  I was determined not to go out and buy more fabric but to use what I have.  

When I calculated the side setting triangles, I made them expecting to cut the small red cornerstones in half as shown in the pic.  But as it turned out I was able to keep those cornerstones and only clip off the points, which makes the quilt interior a bit larger (almost 48" square) and that's good.  

I also changed the width of the white inner border because I didn't have enough to cut the strips as wide as planned.  Today I'm hoping to finish mitering the wide (6") red outer borders.  This quilt should finish at about 60" x 80".  

I'm linked up with Patchwork Times Design Wall Monday.


Thanks for stopping by and Happy Quilting!  
      ~Diane

3 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful quilt. It will be a welcome offering to some soldier out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thank you for making a QOV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the prettiest QOV I've seen.. You did an good job of getting everything to work out so well Our local QOV mtg is coming up soon too. I've got a top to quilt before then. I'd better get going, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...